Thursday, March 28, 2013

Q.T. #2

Two days ago I was supposed to post this.  It doesn't mean that I didn't do the Q.T...  I did.  I just didn't make a blog on it.  What I didn't do was the Q.T. yesterday.  Oops.  But I'll do one today.

The title was Faith in Wisdom.  And the story was a continuation from the one before, where Daniel asks the person in charge of them to put their faith to the test and see whether or not they're healthy when given different food to eat.  And it ends up that they were the healthier than the ones who did eat the royal food.  The Q.T. book continues on about how wisdom will provide stronger faith and having faith will result in wisdom.  But that's not what I got out of it.

The thing I got out of it was the leap of faith.  It requires a TON of faith to tell someone that you know that God will make you better than everyone else by not eating the food that's obviously the best in the country because the King's eating it and eating nothing but veggies.  The Israelites were just taken over by the Babylonians.  Daniel's friends from before were probably going without much food.  And here Daniel is with plates of food around him and he says, 'No.  Not eating these foods will make me stronger.'

But this story is completely out of context from our world.

I want to be a teacher.  I'm in the process of becoming a teacher right now.  Teaching is my calling.  It's what I know God wants me to do.  Yet I have a degree in Chemical Engineering.  Teaching doesn't pay much.  Engineering does.

Say I have a teaching job.  I'm making 40k.  I've been at it for a couple years.  Fifteen more years will get me up to about 60k.  But that'll probably be the max amount of salary I can get as a teacher.  Again, it's my calling.  It's what I'm meant to do.  But then this company comes around to recruit me.  'Jeen, I think you'll make an excellent leader.  Come join us.  Starting salary will be 6 digits.'  I'm doubling my salary.  What do I do?  With all that money I know I can do other things.  Probably good things, good for the community, good for God.  But that's my idea.  What would God want me to do?  Probably keep teaching.  But what about all that extra money that I can give to the church?  It would take me a great leap of faith to refuse the offer.

Ok, so not everyone can feel me on this.  But for me it's a huge deal.  That would be my 'Daniel' story.  Trusting that by doing only what God would want me to do and forgoing my personal wants, God would end up giving me something greater than what the world has to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment