Tuesday, March 19, 2013

My Hair

The most insecure part of my body is my hair.  When my hair gets to be too unmanageable, sometimes I refuse to even walk out my front door.  If anyone makes fun of my hair or says something bad about my hair, I really will go to a corner and cry my heart out.

I was born with a lot of hair.  More than a lot.  By the time I was one year old, my mom had already started tying my hair in pigtails.  That's a lot of hair.  Not only did I have a lot of hair, the strands itself are extremely thick, double or triple the thickness of average hair.  I also had curly hair when I was young.  Although my hair has naturally straightened out since then, if I dry my hair properly, I can still get some pretty locks.  Because my hair was so curly and frizzy, I had always had my hair tied into a ponytail.  You will very rarely see a picture of me without my hair being tied.

So many things have changed since then.  I've actually grown to like my hair for how thick it is.  Normally people's hair get very damaged after getting it dyed.  Their hair may fall out, and they will definitely have split ends.  Because my hair is so thick, dying it does almost no damage.  I haven't seen a split end once since I got my hair highlighted months ago.  Because my hair is so naturally curly, I straighten my hair with a straight iron.  Most people's hair get damaged by the extreme heat.  Split ends are again, an obvious tell.  There are products you can buy to spray on your hair so the hair won't get damaged.  Luckily for me, my hair will just take the heat.  Sometimes, my hair won't even straighten all the way no matter how long I try.  Like today.  An hour of straightening at the highest temperature setting and my hair came out wavy instead of straight.

I'm kind of glad that my hair isn't like anyone else's.  Just like so many other parts of me.  I hear everyone complain about how they don't have enough volume, how they can't do anything with their hair because it's too straight or too curly, how their hair is getting damaged all the time because of the wrong shampoo, straighteners or curlers, or the dye.  Luckily I don't have to deal with any of that.  My hair is perfect for me.

Even though I think that way now, years and years of my parents telling me I looked like a witch because of my hair has already had its effects.  I really will cry if you call my hair poofy, thick, frizzy, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment