Monday, July 22, 2013

Trip to Mexico

Although the mission trip to Mexico was nearly three weeks ago, I haven't really felt compelled to blog about it.  Mostly because I already talked about it with many people and even did a quick few minute testimony on it in front of the youth group.  But here goes:

Overall it was pretty good.  I felt like I tried pretty hard, and worked my butt off when I could.  I needed to remind myself every morning when I woke up and whenever I started feeling lazy the reason I was there in the first place.  I wasn't there to be on a vacation, but I was there so I could help out in any way I could.  It was interesting.  At night I would close my eyes, and when I opened them it was morning.  I was sleeping on a wooden floor with nothing but a thin 1/2 inch styrofoam mat and my sleeping bag.  I was sore and just wanted to sleep more, but I would get up, and spend the entire day doing stuff without napping.  Then it would be night and then the cycle would happen again.  Honestly, it felt great to be so busy everyday, and not busy going to work and making money for myself, but working for the good of God and the people we were serving.  It was also great that I got to know more people.  I already knew the members of the youth group, but I got to better know some KM members and some adults.  Normally, because the different sections of the church don't interact much, I don't really know anyone outside of youth group.  But the mission trip was a good way to connect with other members of the church, and it really felt like we were one, humongous family.  The mission trip really confirmed for me that serving God for the rest of my life is what I really want to do, and I would be really happy just spending day after day doing so.  I didn't feel the extremely strong conviction about going to seminary the way I did last month, but I think this was a gentler way of letting me know that going to seminary is a good path.

More on the seminary in my next post.

So during the mission trip, we painted the building while guys were roofing the building.  For the VBS we held, I wasn't really a member of the skit team.  Although it felt as if I didn't really have an important role to play, I tried to help out whenever I could.  I tried really hard to learn enough Spanish to communicate with the kids.  I wanted the kids to feel welcome and loved.  I tried to help out where I could, in just making the kids smile or helping them with arts and crafts.  Although it's not such a big role in my eyes, I guess it is significant because the goal was for us to spread the love of Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment