Sunday, April 6, 2014

It's Difficult

Personally, it's very difficult to care about people.  Sure, I have friends, I have a best friend, I have sisters, and I have both a church family and a home family.  But do I genuinely care about any of them?  Perhaps.  I spend time with them.  If they wish to spend time with me, I'll gladly sacrifice a bit of my time for them.  I'm willing to give up my time because I know that my time is much more important than anything else I can give them.  I guess that's a way to show that I care.  But I don't think I can bring myself to cry for them.  To hurt for them.  To love for them.  Or to smile for them.  Honestly, I oftentimes do so as a way of showing them that what they feel or think about a situation is important, but it's not a reflection of the way I feel.  Sympathy?  Perhaps.  Empathy?  Whatever that is, I don't think I have it.  It's very difficult for me to care the way they care.  I feel I can both live with those people and just as easily live without them.  But I do care, and in doing so, I show my care by choosing to live with them.  Oftentimes I feel like I don't care enough, and perhaps I should care more.  But at the same time I don't want to.  Caring puts a burden on me, as if I should do something about it because I care.  Isn't it true, that if you genuinely care about something you will do something about it?  So at the same time, I choose not to care.  Why?  Because no one else will care that much about me.  I feel like I'm left alone, to wander on my own, to find my own way, to fend for myself.  But at the same time I like it.  Everything I do is done by my own choices, and I can be sure that I will be there for myself.  But because I live in this society I must somehow become a part of others' lives.  And as I become a part of theirs they become a part of mine.  And now I have no choice but to care.

It's quite difficult.

No comments:

Post a Comment